For most of my adult life I was involved in Mormonism. I never personally consider anyone of any race to be any less human, less good or less worthy. But I did use all sorts of mental gymnastics to excuse a religion that did teach such things, and whose scriptures and manuals still do.
The Book of Mormon is wrong to teach that …
- “a skin of blackness” is less “enticing” and more “loathsome” than “white and exceedingly fair and delightsome” skin.
- Whiter skin comes from “repent[ing] of your sins”
- Darker skin leads to being “idle people, full of mischief “
(See 2 Ne 5:21-23, 1 Ne 12:23 & Jacob 3:5,8-9, See Moses 7:8,22)
Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism, was wrong for teaching that …
- Black people are “their own species”
- He “would confine them by strict law” segregated away from whites.
- Black skin “has ever been a curse that has followed an apostate”
(See Teachings, p. 270, Times & Seasons 6:857)
Jane Manning was sealed (by proxy and against her wishes) to Joseph Smith as a “servant for eternity”. Seriously?(Woodruff Journal, 16 Oct 1894)
Mormon leader, Brigham Young, was wrong when he taught …
- That slavery was “of divine institution”
- That blacks were “uncouth, un-comely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence”
- That “the law of God in regard to the African race” is “If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.”
(See JD 7:290-91, 10:109,250, NY Trib., 20 Aug 1859)
The Mormon church is wrong about …
- Owning a slave, Green Flake, between 1852-54, in payment for tithing.
- Teaching that American Indian “members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness.”
(See Kimball, General Conference – October 1960)
The Mormon church is still wrong about …
- Opposing the civil rights movement.
- Currently teaching that they “recommend that people marry those who are of the same racial background”
- Not apologizing for these false teachings.
(See Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3 – Lesson 31)
I apologize to the 73% of the world’s population that is not white and the 99.98% that is not Mormon, and I encourage all my Mormon family and friends to reject these teachings and find the happiness that comes through doing so.